25 June 2009

Michael Joseph Jackson. Aug. 29, 1958 - June 25, 2009.

NEW YORK, NY USA. Michael Jackson pauses during a press conference at Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network Headquarters in Harlem, NY on Saturday, July 6, 2002. Jackson joined Rev. Sharpton and other community leaders in support of an initiative to help protect the rights of recording artists against the unjust business practices of recording companies, such as SONY Records, headed by Tommy Mottola. © Chet Gordon / THE IMAGE WORKS.

*Although I never got to see Michael Jackson perform or photograph him in concert, I jumped at the opportunity to attend a press conference a few years ago at Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network's HQ in Harlem.
When I worked as a photo-editor at the NY Daily News, a dear colleague of mine called me late the night before and I remember hustling to Manhattan from my Westchester apt., bringing along an aluminum step-ladder slung over my shoulder as I wanted to be high over the press photographer's heads clamoring for position when things got going. I knew I wanted to "lay back" with my 300mm and if memory serves, a tele-extender attached, to make a lot of my frames during the press conference. (Thanks for that 'heads-up' call, Budd Williams) Say what you will about Michael's personal antics later in his life, he always will be remembered as one of the world's greatest entertainers... -cg.

2 comments:

  1. Judith M. Simpson7/02/2009 1:01 PM

    I grew up watching Michael Jackson and his brothers and I have passed my love of his music to my youngest daughter who became a huge fan and insisted on having as much of his music on hand as possible. She said, "loosing him was like loosing a close friend". Thank you Micheal J. Jackson. May you finally be at peace.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been a fan longer than i can remember,we were brought up on his music.it's sad to think my kids will never see him perform as there will never be another quite like michael jackson.we love you.xx
    lisa.x

    ReplyDelete