29 March 2008

"The 10-minute portrait..."

I had to make a "quick & dirty" portrait yesterday of a man who I thought had a wonderful face and character. After making the "safe" images and the two of us talking with the reporter in the hallway of an upstairs barbershop, he said something (I don't remember what it was now) and I just knew I could step in a little closer make a few frames from about a foot away. A rainy and overcast day helped a lot too, as a sunny day would've made the light too harsh for a portrait like this. Sure, I asked him to look out the window and gaze down the street, but I really like this portrait. I also like walking into an assignment with just one camera, one lens, and even taking the flash off to make an image like this. Quick. Simple. Clean... -cg.


Robert Jordan (49) pauses at the hallway of Tremendous Cuts barbershop in Newburgh, NY on Friday, March 28, 2008. Jordan is a former crack-cocaine user and convict, who's turned his life around. Times Herald-Record/CHET GORDON

No comments:

Post a Comment