21 May 2010

"Pomp..." 20•May•10

"Duty, Honor, Country..."

Brigade Command Sergeant Major Richard S. Starks secures his saber in formation during the Superintendent's Awards and Farewell Review at the United States Military Academy in West Point, NY on Thursday, May 20, 2010. Times Herald-Record/CHET GORDON

Yesterday was my first official Graduation Week event at the United States Military Academy (USMA) this season. In fact, other than occasional sports coverage this academic year, I honestly can't remember any daily assignments I've covered at West Point since early last winter. A lot of good stories gone by the wayside, unreported and unwritten, which in turn means a lot of missed pictures. Tomorrow is graduation day and I know I'm going to hear a lot of familiar names called as the cadets receive their diplomas. Cadets I've photographed as athletes for the past four seasons in various sports are being commissioned as 2nd. Lieutenants along with nearly 1,000 of their Class of 2010 classmates.

*Then there's this year's commencement speaker, President Barack Obama. The preparation for covering this year's ceremony has almost gotten to a point where everyone involved is on edge.

More on yesterday's parade and of course tomorrow's workday covering POTUS, which for my colleagues and I in the working press will begin a few hours before sunrise. Stay tuned. ~cg.

No comments:

Post a Comment